Saturday, May 14, 2005

Are You Prejudiced?

I have heard many people say they aren’t prejudiced. They will tell you they don’t judge people based on their sex, age, race, religion, or even their sexual preference – sounding like an employment disclaimer. They will say this with a smile of satisfaction and a sense of pride. I applaud their openness; however, I still say they’re prejudiced.

Most of us hone in on one particular definition for the word, prejudice, that is - having irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion. The word, group, is a broad-based term. I, frankly, don’t particularly like rude people. I can’t stand it when they park too close to my car and bang my door when they get out. I hate it when they let the door slam in your face when your arms are loaded down. I find them rather annoying when they cut in line, blast their music so that it invades my space, and speak derogatively about others. I find this group of individuals irritating. I don’t want to be near them. I am prejudiced against them. Rude people, taken as a whole, is a group. I tend to make snap judgments about people who I perceive as belonging to this group.

Another group of people I regularly place on my prejudiced list are those that belong to groups that attempt to force-feed their religious beliefs or worldviews on you. These individuals seem to get angry, or at the very least, very upset, if you disagree with them. This group tends to ignore your viewpoint, treating it as irrelevant. I don’t mind people who have different opinions, religious beliefs, or even worldviews than me. I enjoy the fact that there are so many different views of the world. I love discussing these differences, but only when both sides actively respect the viewpoints of the other. My viewpoints have changed because of active discussions.

The term, prejudice, doesn’t only apply to race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, or ethnic background. It’s a broad term. Unfortunately, it’s the “politically correct” thing to not to be. I, however, am honest.