Sunday, May 22, 2005

Hurricane Season

The sign said, "10 Days to Hurricane Season, Are You Prepared?" Guess not. I don't have the prerequisite 30,000 batteries, 600 gallons of water, enough canned food to last the next ten years, and duct tape...I don't know what I'll use it for, but I'm sure it's on the list...duct tape is the answer to all your "fix-it" needs! I admit, I smile everytime I read that sign...which has been counting down for months. It makes me think we should warn Oklahomans about the impending danger during tornado season - let's count down to next March! Surely they'll have basements by then. Or, what about the Pacific Rim and all those earthquakes? The big one will strike soon, I just know it. Move while you still can!

It's a fact of life - a hurricane, or a few of them, will hit Florida. It's a big peninsula after all - a pretty enticing target to a roaming hurricane. Oklahoma will get tagged by several tornadoes and the Pacific Rim will have some earthquakes - perhaps even a tsunami. It happens. Not to sound callous, but I'm not going to wall myself in somewhere waiting for disaster to happen. It happens everyday - when there's a car accident, a shooting, an overdose. I'm not going to stop living because Nature happens.

Now, if I were going to worry about something, I'd worry about that giant volcano under Yellowstone National Park.