Tuesday, February 06, 2007

New Hampshire and the View Tax

I admit that I don't like taxes. I would rather keep my hard-earned money for myself. However, I must admit, that sometimes taxes are necessary.

Since taxation appears to be the thing to do, especially to the low and middle classes in this country, I am not surprised with things like sales tax, income tax, or even a bed tax. But, what about the so-called "View Tax?" Yes, this is an actual tax brought about by the governing thinktank in New Hampshire. Now, it sort of works like this - if you have a view that is worth seeing, it is to be taxed more than your neighbor's view of something not so interesting. This subjective tax gets more interesting when you throw in the "Potential View" aspect; that is, if you cut down all the trees obstructing the view to something worth looking at, that's okay, the state will tax you extra for this potential view.

What if the tax assessor comes around and thinks EVERYTHING in New Hampshire is absolutely gorgeous; does this mean that one's taxes will go up? What if the next assessor thinks you have a lousy view; will your taxes go down? Seems a bit subjective to me.

To say that many are up in arms would be an understatement. This absurd tax, I'm sure, has something to do with New Hampshire refusing to impose a sales tax. Instead, property owners foot the entire bill...along with renters. Keep raising property taxes and rents, this state will make it impossible to live here. Perhaps, law makers see this as a way of keeping New Hampshire 'green'....no one here....more trees, but then again, if you cut down all the trees, you'll have a wonderful and highly taxable view.

Repeal this idiotic law, New Hampshire!


In association with Zazzle.com