Saturday, October 15, 2005

From Pillagers and Plunderers to Progressive Thinkers - Denmark

My partner and I are regular viewers of Rick Steve’s Europe travel show. We tune in every Saturday to see what interesting place we’ll be whooshed off to. Last week we went to Denmark – Copenhagen and Aero. Being an American that has never been to Europe, I admit that I’ve been caught in the web of American stereotypical views of European countries. Denmark, being Scandinavian, was erroneously viewed as being an icy wasteland. The irony of this is that I lived for more than eight years in Alaska – which is also portrayed in the American mindset as a frigid place year round. Then, there was Denmark, shown in summer splendor, courtesy of Rick Steves. It wasn’t merely the physical beauty of this country that caught my attention; it was their attitude toward life, each other, and the environment that hit me full force. Bicycles for public use are in abundance in Copenhagen – simply deposit your coin and off you go. When you’re done, put your bike back in a rack, attach the lock, insert the lock key, and your deposit pops out. I soon learned on this 30-minute tour that Denmark has been a leader in creating pedestrian thoroughfares, something that’s now seen all over Europe and is progressive in it’s use of alternative energy resources – particularly wind.

This little country with its independent heart became intriguing. I cruised the web and learned that they’re a world leader in human rights. Gay rights, for instance, were being discussed in the early 1900s. Laws put on the books protecting gay rights came much later, however, they still became one of the first countries to protect their gay citizens.

This quiet, yet determined country, is a place I would love to visit. I respect people who uphold their ethical beliefs without bullying others; I appreciate it when countries do this as well. American leaders would do well in learning from Denmark’s example.

If you’d like to share thoughts and information about Denmark, please comment. I’d love to learn more about this country.