Monday, April 10, 2006

The 30 Inch Inseam

This past weekend I went shopping with a friend at the local mall. For what? Jeans. Due to expanding age and waistlines, it was time for a new pair...or two...of jeans. This should be easy. We wandered into Sears, headed toward the men's department, and scanned the wooden bins for the dimensions: W30, L30. Ahh! There it is...all the bins on the TOP shelf. I take a step back...in order to scan with my craned neck. I glance over at my shopping partner, who is also craning to see. Reaching up, once on my toes, I find a possible pair and hand them over. It finally occurs to me: Why is the shortest inseam on the top shelf while the longest inseam is on the bottom? Who came up with this brilliant idea? Anyone with half a brain would see the insanity of this situation. Are shorter individuals less trust-worthy than taller ones? And, if the store places pants short people might want to purchase on the top shelf, the short individual would be forced to ask for assistance - where they can be monitored closely for improper behavior? Or, does the individual responsible for this design flaw have a personal vendetta against short people and relishes the thought of having them stretch for their pants? Perhaps, store design gurus think short people aren't striving for lofty enough goals? With a sigh, we find a coulple pairs and head to the women's department...where once again, the smaller sizes are up high.