Thursday, January 19, 2006

Four-Wheeled Weapons

Tis Thursday morning and I have survived another journey via car to work. I am acutely aware that the morning commute can be dangerous no matter where you live, and I've lived and worked for months on end in many regions, but then there's the commute in Tallahassee. Every morning I drive 10 miles to work via a 2-lane road; it is the only route into town. It is the twilight hours of morning. This road is heavily wooded on both sides, deer are prevalent, as well as other animals, and branches from overhanging trees can often be found on the road. The speed limit is 45 mph. I drive 50 mph. I drive this speed for three reasons, it allows me to react more quickly to dangerous situations, it is within the legal speed limit, and to conserve fuel - I don't wish to pump my paycheck into my gas tank. Every morning, one or two cars fly by and speed on their way. I don't mind this so much when it is safe to pass. This morning, however, one car passed...directly into on-coming traffic. The second passed two cars while going up a hill, passing the second car at the crest...a no-passing zone.

I am not innocent either. When I was younger, I did what many young people do, drive too fast, weave in and out of traffic, punch the gas at a green light, and take chances. Even so, I still didn't pass going up hills. That's the height of idiocy.

I no longer scream, curse, honk, and flip off dangerous drivers who had given me an adrenaline rush .... as they put everyone's life at risk. Instead, I hope they learn that they're behind the wheel of a very large weapon before anyone gets hurt . . . just as I did. Until they get the message, they deserve a ticket.