Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Chia Pets

Chia pets. I remember these vegetative hairy things coming out when I was a kid. My thought, pop culture Andy Warhol would have gone to town with...perhaps creating a chia sculpture or producing several posters in a variety of garish colors...pure Warhol. I never viewed these little critter shaped plant containers as anything but a joke. I didn't want one...'till now.

A co-worker circled an ad from the local Walgreens and placed it on my desk so that I would see it when I arrived this morning. There it was, an ad proclaiming the American fascination - as long as you don't speak of it - Chia Pets. An array of new fangled ones assaulted my optical nerves...Homer Simpson, Marty the Madagascar Zebra, Shrek, and Donkey. I was glued. Only $15.99 for my very own Donkey Chia Pet! I had to have one. I went online and located the nearest Walgreens, checked Mapquest for its exact location, and yes, I plan to get one of these after work. Why? Because it's a donkey. My house is a regular shrine to these braying beasts. A Chia Donkey with flowing green mane will fit in nicely. I'll even water him regularly.